Skip to main content

Really . . . this impresses me . . .

I am aware that my dear mother and 5-6 other people usually read this blog.

And I am grateful to my Mom for many things, and to all else who read my ramblings.

So, it probably comes as no surprise to you that I recorded a small CD (only printed 300 copies) of my singing a bunch of the songs I have sung to and for children during the Children's Time in various worship services over many years, as well as songs I've sung at Vacation Bible Schools across North Central Texas.

All the money went to support Hugworks and the Kenya Kids Can project.  I believe about $3,000 has been raised to date.

And, I still have some CD's left if you would like order some for yourself or friends . . .

I raised the money for this CD through my Mom's generous help and through the donations of some others people, and a few bucks that my wife and I pitched in.   With the help of Wren Robinson, my fellow partner in ministry here at FUMC-Grapevine (who produced the album for free), and a local studio that mixed the songs for me at a reduced cost, we got the thing done.

As a result, I can always tell people that I recorded a CD!  

And by the way, no one associated with the project made a dime off it.  Except for the studio mixing time, and the cost of the CD's and cases, it was an effort of love.

This is pretty much the way it is now for all indie (independent) musicians.

Some of the independent musicians I know actually ask for the help of their friends and fans in raising funds to produced a CD.   I've given a few bucks here and there to some artists.

James Hill, who is my favorite ukulele player, is recording a CD and is asking for the help of his friends and fans.  You can learn more by going to http://jameshillmusic.com/PatronOfTheArts.   This is great info for others to consider if they have music projects in their hearts.

James is a great musician, singer and song-writer.  I am going to pre-purchase a copy of his CD, if for no other reason, than to help out a worthy cause (in my mind and heart.)

God's graces still amazes me . . . ><>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glen Hansard talks about his well-worn Takamine Guitar

There is little doubt that the most famous guitar in the world, or at least the most famous Martin guitar, is Willie Nelson's guitar, "Trigger."

Another famous guitar is Glen Hansard's Takamine guitar, which he has played so much, on a daily basis, that it is even more worn than "Trigger" is.

The relationships certain performers form with their favorite instruments is truly fascinating to me.

Please enjoy the video!

BTW - CLICK HERE to go to Glens website!

If you have a favorite guitar, uke, bass, flute, trumpet, violin or any other instrument, and would love to share you story, then please contact me by email at revrickmang@gmail.com.

God's grace, and favorite insturments, amaze me greatly! ><>

Tuning a baritone uke to G-C-E-A ??

Well I'll be . . . it can be done.
If you didn't know, I use Aquila Nylgut Ukulele strings on my tenor and baritone ukes. Best sounding uke strings out there in my humble opinion.
I love my Kala tenor uke . . . but I've got such big bo-honking fingers, and the frets on a tenor uke are not exactly large . . . I can really only play chords on the first 5 frets.
Then one day a while back, I noticed on the package that Aquila makes a Baritone set tuned to G-C-E-A, just like my tenor. A baritone uke is usually tuned like the bottom 4 strings of a guitar . . . D-G-B-E.
Well, I jumped in and ordered a couple of sets. And . . . they work . . . at least to me. Now, I am not by any means a uke "purist." They are the "tools" I use as instruments when I sing certain songs. Restrung with the new strings, the Kala baritone is about as loud as my tenor . . . but with a little deeper sound. Some may not like it . . . but I do, especially as I work to learn the names of…

Goodbye Tom Petty . . ..

It was confirmed last night that Tom Petty died after being found in his home unresponsive and in full cardiac arrest.  Tom and the Heartbreakers has just finished up their 40th anniversary tour.  Tom was planning to spend more time at home with his new grandchild. 

Everyday is precious.  Live each day as if it is your last.

RIP Tom.  Thank you for the music!

God's grace, and cherished memories of people that made great music, still amaze me . . . ><>