Skip to main content

An "Official Announcement" and a very humble "Thank you, Church!!"

Dear FUMC-Grapevine Church members and friends . . . 

Two years ago, I was extended the honor of being invited to come serve as a member of the summer Chaplain Corps at the Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimarron, New Mexico, the largest outdoor youth camp in the world.  To say the least, this is a great honor to myself and to the church I am proud to serve, the First United Methodist Church of Grapevine, Texas.  I initially thought that my going to serve as a chaplain  at Philmont during the summer would be out-of-the-question.  Being away from the church and family for so long just didn't seem realistic to me.  I was very comfortable with my yearly trip to Philmont to serve as chaplain for the week-long Fall Leadership Conference held there each September.  A week away was far more manageable.

Then . . .  I got cancer. 
 
I have to admit, my cancer battle took far more out of me than I realized, and it lasted a lot longer than I expected it to.  There are still some physical side-effects from the cancer and treatment that  I am dealing with, which I am told can linger for a year or so.  Age, maturity and my past experiences providing pastoral care to others going through cancer helped me to realize that at some point in the process,  I was going to need a break.  
 
After receiving a “disease free” report from my oncologist, I was encouraged to approach Rev. John Mollet , our Senior Pastor, and our Staff-Parish-Relations Committee at the church about the possibility of my be granted leave during the upcoming month of July for some renewal time, and to serve as a chaplain at Philmont.  John offered his encouragement and support, and the SPRC graciously granted my request. I will be forever grateful to them for allowing me to experience this unique opportunity.

So, I would like to "officially announce"  that I will be leaving for New Mexico after the close of VBS on Friday, June 28th.  I will serve at Philmont, with endorsement from FUMC-Grapevine (all chaplains at Philmont must have an endorsement), from July 1 – 26.  I will be leading and/or preaching at Protestant Chapel services each evening, in addition to Sunday afternoon ecumenical services at the Philmont Training Center.  I will also get to help lead the Tuesday and Thursday morning sunrise services at the Training Center, a tradition I helped to start there 3 years ago.  Along with other chaplains, I will be responsible for the spiritual needs of all campers, volunteer adults leaders, and Philmont staff members.  My responsibilities will also include counseling and conflict management/resolution, delivering the mail and emergency messages, and being a 1st responder for various situations as they arrive and as needed.

For those wondering . . . Chaplains at Philmont usually put in 10-12 hour days at a minimum. 

I can't wait!!!!

Liz will join me on July 27th, so we can enjoy together the remainder of my leave time.  I plan to be back for worship on Sunday, August 4th.

It has been my honor and privilege to serve on the pastoral staff of this grand church for the past 8 years.  I hope and pray to be able to return from time away with fresh eyes and renewed energy for my next 8 years here.

I do not have the words to express my appreciation for this opportunity, other than to humbly say, "Thank you!"

As time permits . . . I will occasionally post a blog article or two during this experience.

For more information about Philmont Scout Ranch, please go to www.philmontscoutranch.org.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>
 

 

Comments

I am excited for you Pastor Rick. With your passion and strength, I know you will touch everyone of those kids as God will instruct and guide you as well. we will miss you and I will be saying a prayer for you each and every day.

May God bless you,

Dennine Christian

Popular posts from this blog

Glen Hansard talks about his well-worn Takamine Guitar

There is little doubt that the most famous guitar in the world, or at least the most famous Martin guitar, is Willie Nelson's guitar, "Trigger."

Another famous guitar is Glen Hansard's Takamine guitar, which he has played so much, on a daily basis, that it is even more worn than "Trigger" is.

The relationships certain performers form with their favorite instruments is truly fascinating to me.

Please enjoy the video!

BTW - CLICK HERE to go to Glens website!

If you have a favorite guitar, uke, bass, flute, trumpet, violin or any other instrument, and would love to share you story, then please contact me by email at revrickmang@gmail.com.

God's grace, and favorite insturments, amaze me greatly! ><>

Tuning a baritone uke to G-C-E-A ??

Well I'll be . . . it can be done.
If you didn't know, I use Aquila Nylgut Ukulele strings on my tenor and baritone ukes. Best sounding uke strings out there in my humble opinion.
I love my Kala tenor uke . . . but I've got such big bo-honking fingers, and the frets on a tenor uke are not exactly large . . . I can really only play chords on the first 5 frets.
Then one day a while back, I noticed on the package that Aquila makes a Baritone set tuned to G-C-E-A, just like my tenor. A baritone uke is usually tuned like the bottom 4 strings of a guitar . . . D-G-B-E.
Well, I jumped in and ordered a couple of sets. And . . . they work . . . at least to me. Now, I am not by any means a uke "purist." They are the "tools" I use as instruments when I sing certain songs. Restrung with the new strings, the Kala baritone is about as loud as my tenor . . . but with a little deeper sound. Some may not like it . . . but I do, especially as I work to learn the names of…

Goodbye Tom Petty . . ..

It was confirmed last night that Tom Petty died after being found in his home unresponsive and in full cardiac arrest.  Tom and the Heartbreakers has just finished up their 40th anniversary tour.  Tom was planning to spend more time at home with his new grandchild. 

Everyday is precious.  Live each day as if it is your last.

RIP Tom.  Thank you for the music!

God's grace, and cherished memories of people that made great music, still amaze me . . . ><>