Saturday, September 29, 2012

Update: Home, getting ready for part 2 ...

We arrived home yesterday. There is something to be said about sleeping in your own bed for the first time in over 2 weeks, and taking a shower in the bathroom designed for someone my height.

One neat thing about this trip was our seeing several rainbows. Don't know about you, but rainbows for me are very spiritual, and always a sign of hope and the active presence of God. The picture below was the closest we have ever been to a complete rainbow, meaning we saw both ends and the complete bow between. It was brilliant, far more so than this picture can show. We were on the road leading out of Taos back to Angel Fire.

We saw another rainbow on Interstate 40 on Thursday afternoon, as we drove through a big thunderstorm with rain, very high wind, and a ton of small, slushy hail. I swear that the end of the rainbow came down into the hood of our car. I could have touched it, if such a thing is even possible. Just a very awesome God moment.

As I reflect some this morning, I feel like I accomplished some sort of a mission in a sense ... Reconnecting with the felling and rhythm of nature, listening to God's many voices (including rainbows), spending a wonderful amount of time with Liz, thinking about a lot of things (mostly distractions, deciding that most are not worth thinking about, as they don't match up with my personal mission. At 55 years old, I've learned how to gracefully say "No." Something Ken Diehm taught me to do. I will forever be grateful to him for that.

As I reflect, I can honestly say, that I have not thought much about cancer in the past two weeks. I am ready for surgery #2 next week, and wish it was sooner than later, although I am worried about being out for yet another week or so. I will be in worship and Administrative Board tomorrow, and have office hours on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I really appreciate the time I'm being given to get this all over with. Such is not the case for many others.

So, phase #2 begins next week, followed by a low-iodine diet, followed by radioactive iodine treatment(s) and the isolation time they require. That hasn't all been quite explained to me yet.

More to come ...

God's grace still amazes me ... ><>

No comments: