Skip to main content

Opps. . . forget to announce that my Hotrod #2 is home . . .

Fair warning . . . this particular blog entry is about guitars. If not for you, then move on . . . but please come back soon.

Yep . . . my only attempt at building a guitar . . . the Grapevine Guitar Works Hotrod#2 Stratocaster that Sean Simon and I built, is back in my office . . .

In a word . . . sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

If I may, let me say that again . . . swwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

To quote Joe Walsh . . . "That'sa so nice!"

Alan Massey, the lead guitar player of our 1st Church String Band, and a master carpenter, worked on it for a few weeks. I like the set up on his Strat and Tele . . . my guitar was in very good hands.

I will be getting a new bridge for it . . . later this summer for it. We used a cheap one that Sean had in a parts box . . . after that, I think it will be finished.

As my friends (Joe in Houston, and Floyd in Waco) have been telling me for years . . . playing an electric guitar is quite different that playing an acoustical guitar.

Truth be known . . . they are so right.

I play very little lead guitar . . . I don't have any skill for it . . . and would rather provide rhythm back up to a more competent player.

So, I designed my Hotrod #2 as a rhythm electric guitar . . . one that I could take to the after school functions I play guitar for during the school year. The Peavey T-60 I traded Alan for is my favorite electric, but it is so heavy . . . and not fun to transport. And being that the T-60 is no longer made . . . I just wanted to have a little bit of insurance.

So . . . Sean came up with the idea of our putting two P-90 soapbar pickups into a Stratocaster body, instead of building the guitar with the traditional 3 single coil pickups a Strat usually has, and using a Mighty Mite strat neck he had in his garage.

Then I came up with running the guitar through a Boss Super Chorus pedal (actually an idea Floyd gave me).

And . . . so far so good . . . my Hotrod is light . . . and has an action I can play. It sounds really good through the chorus pedal, but run it through a compression pedal, and it starts to really crunch. I am excited to start learning some new chords, songs and techniques.

And that, my friends, is what at least one instrument in your collection should motivate you to do . . . learn to play better.

As an acoustic player . . . I would say that I am a solid 6, and maybe even a 7 if I continue to learn new chords.

As an electric player . . . I am really a rank amateur, no more than a 3. But . . . I am ready to take the next step.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuning a baritone uke to G-C-E-A ??

Well I'll be . . . it can be done.
If you didn't know, I use Aquila Nylgut Ukulele strings on my tenor and baritone ukes. Best sounding uke strings out there in my humble opinion.
I love my Kala tenor uke . . . but I've got such big bo-honking fingers, and the frets on a tenor uke are not exactly large . . . I can really only play chords on the first 5 frets.
Then one day a while back, I noticed on the package that Aquila makes a Baritone set tuned to G-C-E-A, just like my tenor. A baritone uke is usually tuned like the bottom 4 strings of a guitar . . . D-G-B-E.
Well, I jumped in and ordered a couple of sets. And . . . they work . . . at least to me. Now, I am not by any means a uke "purist." They are the "tools" I use as instruments when I sing certain songs. Restrung with the new strings, the Kala baritone is about as loud as my tenor . . . but with a little deeper sound. Some may not like it . . . but I do, especially as I work to learn the names of…

Goodbye Tom Petty . . ..

It was confirmed last night that Tom Petty died after being found in his home unresponsive and in full cardiac arrest.  Tom and the Heartbreakers has just finished up their 40th anniversary tour.  Tom was planning to spend more time at home with his new grandchild. 

Everyday is precious.  Live each day as if it is your last.

RIP Tom.  Thank you for the music!

God's grace, and cherished memories of people that made great music, still amaze me . . . ><>

Would you life to share share about your favorite musical instrument?

What is your favorite guitar or other musical instrument?  Please let me know.  I'd like to interview you about your relationship with your favorite instrument.

I am interested in talking with, and getting to know, everyday people who make music.  That's the kind of person I am.  I'm an everyday kind of guy, and I love to sing and play guitar for everyday people. 

Although I have too many guitars, several ukes, a couple of old banjo's, a bunch of harmonicas and several Native American flutes, I am interested in stories about other instruments as well.  I have it in my mind that this blog will probably feature more stories about guitars and singer-songwriters.  However, I am open to stories about people and their love for other instruments.  So, if you play the accordion, piano, pennywhistle, drums . . . or can crack your knuckles in time to music . . . I want to hear your story.

All inquiries from interested, or from the curious as well, can be sent to revrickmang@gm…