Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I can see the top of my desk . . .

Yesterday, I came to realize that I am, and have been for some time, a bit out-of-control.

Call it fatigue, call it spiritual emptiness, call it what you will . . . but I knew I had lost some of my focus.

Specifically . . . I have been wasting a lot of time.

Seriously.

Now, remember, I am a visually stimulated card-carrying extrovert. At times, yes I admit it, I am like the moth flying toward the light . . . "Oh look at that! It's so beautiful." I have to work hard at staying focused on things . . . mentally, visually, spiritually.

Experts write that "time management is the key to gaining your professional and relational focus!"

Funny thing about time management . . . THERE IS NO SUCH THING!

Fact: We all have the same 24 hours a day . . .

Fact: We all have the same 1,440 minutes a day . . .

Fact: We all have the same 86,400 seconds a day.

Each and every day.

Time can't be managed. To manage time implies you can control time or bend it to your will.

Such, alas, is not, and never has been the case.

I guess when you get to be my age (52 on May 7th), you start learning more of the important life truths that you failed to understand in earlier years.

Today's life truth: Life is not about "time" management. It is about "self" management.

For me . . . there came the painful revelation that I have gotten a bit lazy in regards to "personal self" management. Today, I put a plan in action to correct that.

Operation "Improve My Want-To!" went into effect this morning.

-I cleaned off my desk (the top of my desk is black??? Since when??).

-I simplified my calendar (I only need one calendar).

-I got my daily workbook (a hardcover spiral) back out (it was like meeting a long-lost friend).

-I re-identified what is important to me.

-I remembered again and claimed my God-given gifts and strengths.

-I remembered again and claimed . . . my call . . . and my life mission.

The "result" . . . well for most of today . . . the result has been increased clarity and focus.

Thank you Lord!

The "issue-at-hand" however . . . is to intentionally want-to remember who and what I live for . . . that my relationship with Christ and my calling are my foundation for ALL that I strive to do . . . tomorrow, and the next day and the next . . . on a daily and weekly basis.

It's time to be about managing my "self". The distractions, clutter, and wishy-washiness of my life lately . . . were all my choice. But, I know how to deal with this. I've done it before, I can do it again.

I choose to simplify . . . I choose faith . . . I choose to offer my "self" as a sacrifice holy and pleasing to God.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...