Monday, September 17, 2007

It is scary to say, "I believe!" . . .

Many who read the New Testament have read Mark 9:24 - "I believe," the man cried: "help my unbelief!"

From different books on theology, various authors have written lines like:

-We need to believe.
-We insist on believing.
-Believing is essential in order to have some certainty about life.
-To believe is as natural as eating, drinking and sleeping.
-To be human is to be a believer.

In the Christian Believer study, we read: "Believing also makes us nervous."

It should!

Believing is a very powerful and life-shaping thing. As a result, believing is very risky, because you could be betting your life when you say, "I believe!"

There are consequences one should consider when you say or write, "I believe!" Beliefs determine the direction and destination of our lives.

I think the most important question to ask about beliefs is this: "What difference will my believing in something make in me, and in my world?"

But so much about belief is subjective. Is it enough, at times, to simply say, "I believe; help my unbelief?"

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...