Thursday, October 1, 2015

On the road again . . .

It's really good to have a regular singing schedule again.

For those who might have passed my little blog by these past couple of months, after a 10 year ministry at the First United Methodist Church in Grapevine, TX, I accepted a new appointment as the pastor at the First United Methodist Church in Crowley, TX, in the southwest Fort Worth/Tarrant County area.  My wife and I relocated to the church parsonage here in Crowley on July 1st.  It's been a very busy 3 months.

During my first 90 days, I curtailed singing in the community and instead focused on connecting with the members of the church, and to work on preaching good sermons. As time allowed, I went out and got to know some of the area Activity and Life Enrichment Directors at the hursing home, rehab, and assisted living centers, especially when I went to visit church members who were residents.  It took a while, but invitations have started coming in.  I sang two weeks ago to my largest crowd ever at the Huguley Nursing Care and Rehab Center in Burleson, off I-35 and FM 1187.  I believe I sang to over 40 people, and it was a blast.

Today, I sang at the Heritage Place Assisted Living Center, located just southwest of Huguley.  A brand new assisted living/memory care center.  I sang in the front living area.  A small crowd, but then this was really more of an audition.  The Activity Director let me know she would be calling me soon to schedule a regular time to sing.

Next Monday I will be heading to Chisholm Trail Estates in Keene, TX, just east of Cleburne, about a half-hour away from Crowley.  This is a large property retirement center.  I believe I will be singing in either the front living room area or in the dining hall.  I'm looking forward to it.

I am thinking that this will be a good singing schedule for me through December, considering I also lead the chapel service most Tuesday mornings for our preschool.  I did accept an invite to provide several songs this coming Saturday morning in Waco, TX for a  gathering of the  United Methodist Women of our annual conference.  All in all, I think this is a workable schedule, and there will be a good balance between my daily pastoral responsibilities and singing.  I can take one more gig is things work out.  We will see.

In the meantime . . . it is good to be singing again!

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...