Saturday, October 17, 2015

And the winner is a long-time old friend . . .


 
The pick search was quick and ended up not costing me much money or time in the process.  The clear winner of all the picks I have tried are the Dunlop Nylon .73's, .88's, and 1.0's.
 
The criteria was simple . . .
 
1)  I only used MY guitars with Monel or Phosphor-Bronze strings.
     -Martin D-18 retro
     -Martin J-40
     -Taylor GS (BTO)
     -Guild F-50R
     -Guild F-512
 
2)  Although I sought the advise of others, in the end I depended on what my ear was hearing, and if I liked it.
 
3)  I was looking for a low amount of plastic pick noise (clicking), and the pick had to be comfortable to hold.  For a folk "boom-chucker" like me . . . that's important.
 
The clear winner (once again) . . . and old friend I've been using for a long time . . . Dunlop Nylon's.  The sound of each guitar was great.  The picks were easy to hold and play with.  The pick sound was greatly reduced.
 
I'm actually happy about this, and here is why . . . I probably have at least 3 dozen of the .73's in my pick jar right now!   Several years ago, when I was in my Therapeutic Music Entertainer certification training, I was using these picks.  They are very easy to hold, and the sound of the pick on the strings is much less than other pick materials I tried. I probably bought 5 packs of them.
 
I mostly use the .73's when plugged in, especially on the Taylor GS.  But my Martin D-18 seems to respond better to the .88's  I will use the .73's or the .88's when I am playing acoustic, depending on the size of the room and what my ear is hearing.  It also depends if I am the only instrumentalist, or playing a rhythm beat   I use the 1.0 when I need to do more flat picking for a song, or when I need t accentuate the bass line.  The .73 works just fine with my Guild 12-string.
 
But, if all I had was some of the .73's, I would make out just fine, plugged in or acoustic.
 
 Old friends . . . they are just plain hard to beat!
 
God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>
 
 

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...