Monday, April 14, 2014

Singing from memory or using the iPad

I had fun singing today at Dancing River.  Only my second time to perform for adults this month.  

That's what happens when your regular job is focused on the arrival of Easter!

To say I'm a little rusty when it comes to singing and playing guitar is putting it mildly.  Both vocally and musically, I could hear the mistakes.  Too many mistakes . . . I was pushing to hard.

Hope I didn't cringe too noticeably.

Finally, I had enough . . . And I turned off my iPad, and abandoned my set-list.

Then . . . I just sang and played what songs I know, songs I would enjoy singing anywhere.  Story songs, funny songs, good neighbor songs.  I started engaging the audience with my eyes and vocals, and kept the guitar playing simple.

I had a blast!  I think the residents did as well.  

If I sang more than 3-4 times a month, I know I would easily be able to fully and comfortably memorize 30+ songs.  But reality being what it is, opportunities to sing have to fit in with a full-time Pastor's schedule.  Things should get busier when summer arrives with VBS and other community events.

That it my hope.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...