Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Here comes Lent!

The Christian season of Lent begins next week on Ash Wednesday, March 5th.  I have the honor of preaching at our Ash Wednesday service at 7 PM in our Main Sanctuary at the Downtown Campus.

I have been attending Wednesday morning Bible study these past few weeks, taught by my long-time college and pastoral mentor, Dr. Jesse J. Sowell.   The class is one our short-term Disciple Bible Study's, and is called "Invitation to the Psalms.

This past week, our daily exercise was to pray the Psalms in both the morning and the evening.  I found this to be a great challenge.   Jesse shared that it has been a common practice in many faith traditions to pray the entire Book of Psalms in 30 days.  The Book of Common Prayer has a reading plan to read in support of this, with the Psalms divided, in order, into morning and evening sections.

So . . .  I have made a decision . . . and I could use your prayer support.

I am going to pray the Book of Psalms for 30 days, in both March and April.  This will include the entire season of Lent, and include the 10 days following Easter.

I don't know what to expect, and I hope to be able to share what I experienced.

More to come.

God's grace still  amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...