Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Not what I hoped, but still some good news . . .

My visit yesterday morning to my oncologist’s office did not go as smoothly as I had hoped . . .  but I believe all is going to be good in the end.

The results of my recent full body scan showed that I do not have any metastatic disease (in other words, the thyroid cancer did not migrate anywhere else in my body).  That is very good news.

However . . . the scan, according to the oncologist, “lit up” a section in the upper left area of my neck, indicating there “may be something” in the lymph node region.  He wants to address this “cautiously,” meaning I will receive another radioactive iodine treatment (smaller dose) during the 1st or 2nd week of April 2013.  I will receive more info on April 2nd.   I will probably be out for several days related to all this.

The take-a-ways from this are a bit mixed but mostly good.
 
The bad take-a-ways . . .
 
-I will not get what I really wanted for Christmas . . . the "all clear" report.
-Another treatment, meaning the process that I hoped would last no longer than 6 months will probably now take 10 months to a year from first detection of the lump in my neck to the time I get an "all clear" report.
-More dealing with my "not being in control" (which I find quite frustrating).
-Having to re-evaluate some future things I wanted to do, which may have to delayed a year.  No big deal, except I made some promises . . . but everyone involved will understand
 
The good take-a-ways . . .
 
-I am feeling much, much better physically. 
-I am able to work full-time, and that feels really good.  It's good to walk into Advent/Christmas carrying my fair share of the pastoral load.
-The thyroid cancer did not move to other parts of my body.
-There is no confirmation that what the scan revealed is cancer . . . but why not be agressive (what my oncologist calls "being cautious."  I prefer aggressive . . . like "kill the damn thing now!!!"
-This is not a fatal disease . . . it's just going to be over when it's over.
 
I think in the end . . . the good take-a-ways win!!!!
 
God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>
 

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...