Wednesday, December 26, 2012

I give up on acoustic amps . . .

Well, I made a decision today.  I am willing to accept the positive or negative consequences of my decision either way.

I am simply giving up on acoustic amps.

I've got a very good Fishman Loudbox acoustic amp.  It's for sale as of today.  Nothing wrong with it. I've used it for 3 years.  Carted it easily around with me to inside and outside gigs.

Why?

Well . . . I just can't get the sound I want dialed in.

What is the sound I want?

I want to hear the sound my guitar makes acoustically when I plug it in to an acoustic amplifier.

Trouble is . . . I can't get it to sound like my guitar, in fact I can't get any of my 6 string guitars to sound like they do when plugged in to an acoustic amp.  My Guild 12-string sounds fine . . . go figure.

To my untrained ear (emphasis on "untrained") I hear too many "effects."  However, I don't hear the sound my 6-strings make, which is the reason I got them in the first place.

So . . . I guess I am moving toward getting a portable PA system.  It looks like I am going to give an HK Lucas Nano 300 portable PA system a good long hard look.  Grapevine Guitar Works has a couple in stock, and I'm going to take my Taylor GS Custom and my Guild F-50R over to the shop and plug them in.  They are German engineered, very compact and easy to transport and set up.  And, to my delight, there is only a balance knob and a volume knob to adjust on the control panel.

Wow!  I can't begin to imagine set-up before a gig taking any more than 15 minutes.  And pretty much all I need to adjust during a gig is the volume or tone control on the guitar itself.

Brilliant!!!

Why didn't I pay attention to this sooner?  Guess I secretly wanted to sound like Monte Montgomery.  Only problem is, I'm not Monte Montgomery.

Don't know the full cost yet, but somewhere around $600.  Take off what I can get for my Fishman on a trade or on Craig's List . . . maybe around $450 or less.

More info to come.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...