Friday, September 18, 2009

A tribute to Mary Travers . . . Let's all start singing!

Those of us who are in our 50's and 60's, and who got caught up in folk music when we were teens and in college, owe a lot to Peter, Paul and Mary. They have shared 50 years of singing together. And now that has come to an end with the death this week of Mary Travers.  

Ah, yes . . . our beautiful, vibrant, endearing, wonderful Mary.  

Yes it is a sad day, for someone we love has died . . . but, it is also a day of challenge.  
Many of us can sing, many of us can still play instruments, but for many various reasons we have stopped singing over the years . . . perhaps singing became less of a priority in some way . . . perhaps at the suggestion of "other people", we were encouraged to have a more "adult" focus . . . there were families to raise, money to earn, careers to pursue.  

Perhaps, it was suggested that singing was just not as important as other activities, or other more "adult" pursuits.  

Can you imagine . . . being a singer, and not singing to your family?  

Can you imagine . . . being a singer, and not singing with your friends and workmates?  

Can you imagine . . . being a singer, and choosing to adopt other ways of dealing with life . . . seems to me that singing is a lot healthier than booze, drugs, etc., and a far better way to reduce stress and anxiety . . . plus when singing with others, you build community!  

I don't know about you, but in Mary's death, I hear a call for us to rise up again . . . to dust off our instruments, and tune them up . . . and start singing . . . because it matters!!!!  

We need to sing . . . and we need to sing together! And we need to make it a priority to do so in our lives . . . and if others disagree . . . we just need to tell them in grace and love, "It's what I am supposed to do."  

And then . . . we need to find friends . . . children . . . youth . . . other adults . . . to sing to or to sing with. I don't mean to quit your job . . . or to try out for American Idol (go ahead if you want to, but that ain't for me) or go on tour . . . rather, there are probably so many "venues" within a mile or so of your home or business . . . where a song leader or singer would be welcomed as a volunteer. For someone who has the fire in their gut and heart to sing . . . it could make all the difference in someone's world . . . including your own.  

I sing at nursing homes . . . and let me tell you . . . you have never had a more appreciative audience than people at a nursing home or rehab center.  

One of the things that marks my personal singing ministry . . . is that I do like to perform . . . in fact, singing before an audience is a thrilling thing for me . . . it feeds me in a way I cannot easily explain. I sing at my church, I sing for children in schools and parks, I sing with a great band . . . tomorrow I will be singing with the band at a wedding!  

But even more importantly, to me, than being a singer . . . is how I have much more enjoyed getting people to sing with me.  

Why?  

Perhaps because, as a young singer and guitarist years ago, I had the best teachers anyone could have . . . Peter, Paul and Mary, Peter Seeger, John Denver . . . and other artists whose albums (now there is a "dated" word) I purchased and listened to as often as I could . . . playing my guitar and singing along. That is why I like folk music so much . . . because in folk music you are encouraged to interact with the singers and musicians.  

I mean, my singing "This Land is Your Land" is a good thing . . . but it sounds a lot better, and means a lot more . . . when I sing it with a bunch of other people.  

Another teacher was Johann Anderson, whose "Song's book gave us so many songs to share and sing with others. I have never met him, but his little book on song leading greatly changed my life.  

So, in tribute to Mary Travers . . . let's get together . . . and start singing with each other.  

Let's start singing about important stuff . . . love, friendship, peace . . . and faith . . . both in God and in our own willingness, at a more advanced age . . . to make a difference through music.  

Rest in peace, dear sweet Mary. Our tribute to you, is to keep singing!  

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

1 comment:

John Montgomery said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...