Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Getting the chance to check out another guitar . . .

This is a blog entry about guitar stuff - if that isn't your thing, then skip this and continue reading further down my blog, or check back later. Either way, I appreciate you! RM ><>

For those who know I promised a blog on my "inept" attempts to discover "sound" . . . it's coming soon.

In the mean time . . . Sean at Dallas Used Guitar has loaned me an Ibanez Montage MSC700NT acoustic hybrid guitar. He thought I might be interested in it, and as usual, he was right.

In honest, truthful reality . . . I am not a guitarist as much as I am a singer who plays guitar. And since I do a fair amount of "solo" work singing at nursing homes, schools, etc., I have been trying to find a guitar I can take with me, which would have a few effects options.

My beloved Martin D-15 GTE has been showing some wear after the past 4 years of regular use. I acquired a Tacoma jumbo from Sean a while back, and have really enjoyed it, but it has no on-board tuner/eq/etc. But it sounds really good.

The Ibanez Montage . . . well I would classify it as a hybrid. You can play clean acoustic and it sounds pretty good. It also has settings for clean electric, and a setting where you can had some gain/"crunch" to it. In addition, it has chorus, notch and reverb controls as well. There are several YouTube videos out there which show/explain the controls and features better than I can. It used 4 AA batteries, and has easy behind body access to the control wiring. It has to be plugged into an amp for the on-board tuner to work.

I have put it through two good trial runs here in my office . . . and hope to use it at our jam session this Thursday evening . . . before it has to go back on the shelf at the Dallas Used Guitar Showroom at the Grapevine Antique Mall.

I wish I had known about this guitar earlier. I know something about the Line 6 hybrid (my good friend Floyd has one, and has used it some in the prasie band he plays with.). I've played a Taylor T-5 at a nearby Guitar Center . . . and seen, but not played a Parkwood hybrid.

For someone who is playing guitar to back up their singing (solo gig) . . . this might be a good guitar to consider. It is thinner than a standard acoustic, but also heavier. But, for anyone who can mess with an amp better than I can (which would be about 99% of you!) you could experiment and get some great sounds. In a band situation . . . I would only use the clean acoustic or electric settings. I'm just the rhythm player after all.

This guitar won one of the 2009 Best New Guitar awards given each year. It will not appeal to everyone. But it will appeal to some, especially those like me, who only want to carry one guitar and an amp, without carrying pedals, extra cables, power strips, etc. After all, I drive a Saturn Vue. The poor thing can only carry so much!

Thank you Sean, for letting me play around for a while with this guitar.

God's grace, and my friends, it all still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...