Skip to main content

Ain't she a beauty ???

A Tacoma JK28CE jumbo acoustic. Ain't she a beauty?

For those of you who do not care a "lick" (pardon the pun, a little guitar humor there) about how someone decided on a guitar . . . you may want to go on to the next blog on your list.
If you are a guitar person . . . you might be interested in this journey of mine.

I've been considering getting and playing a jumbo acoustic for several years now. In fact, Sean at Dallas Used Guitar loaned me an Alvarez jumbo a few years back. I played it for our week long VBS, and at one of our 1st Church String Band concerts. I liked it size wise, but the sound was a bit tinny, which is normal for most Alvarez guitars.

For the most part, during the Children's Time and when I sing at area nursing homes or at funerals, I play my Martin DC-16GTE or my Martin D-15 mahogany guitar. I have played the DC-16 hard for 4 years now . . . and it is starting to show some wear, along with needing new frets and some work on the electronics. The D-15 was one of the special events in my life . . . I was in the right place at the right time when it crossed my path. In truth, it was sheer dumb luck. Martin's have a deep rich sound that I just love. Always have, always will.

But, I was still, every so often, wondering about 
getting a jumbo as my "travel" and Children's Church guitar, and just use the Martin's for our band performances. My thinking being that a jumbo might project better at nursing homes and other venues where I do not have access to a sound system . . . or where I don't have enough space to bring an amp.  

The other day, Sean calls and says, "you got to see this guitar." So I go see it . . . koa wood back and sides . . . absolutely beautiful . . . sitka spruce top . . . this guitar is a beauty indeed.  And it is a full-sized jumbo, 100% American made.

But good looks never means it sounds good. So I tuned up and started playing . . .

Our jaws dropped . . . I strummed and E chord and the guitar just resonated forever. Later that day, I played both my Martins and the Tacoma. Very similar sounds, but the Tacoma has a bit more volume . . . as I had hoped for.

I played it that same dayy at an after-school program at a local elementary school, then played it Thursday night at band rehearsal, and then played it at 3 of the morning worship services yesterday.

This guitar may be the best sounding guitar I have played over our sanctuary house/pa system.

Yeah . . . it's a keeper.

As best I can explain my relationship with guitars . . . they are tools for ministry. I like having the proper tools for any job I do. I don't mean that I buy a lot of tools . . . but I do buy the right tools.

This Tacoma jumbo is the right tool for the music I sing and perform.  Now, if I could just find a Tacoma jumbo 12-string . . .

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

Comments

Anonymous said…
I picked up a JK28CE in 2009 or 2010 in a local music store in town. They were pretty ready to get rid of it since it had been there awhile. I LOVE this guitar. Everyone that plays it wants to buy it.

Popular posts from this blog

Tuning a baritone uke to G-C-E-A ??

Well I'll be . . . it can be done.
If you didn't know, I use Aquila Nylgut Ukulele strings on my tenor and baritone ukes. Best sounding uke strings out there in my humble opinion.
I love my Kala tenor uke . . . but I've got such big bo-honking fingers, and the frets on a tenor uke are not exactly large . . . I can really only play chords on the first 5 frets.
Then one day a while back, I noticed on the package that Aquila makes a Baritone set tuned to G-C-E-A, just like my tenor. A baritone uke is usually tuned like the bottom 4 strings of a guitar . . . D-G-B-E.
Well, I jumped in and ordered a couple of sets. And . . . they work . . . at least to me. Now, I am not by any means a uke "purist." They are the "tools" I use as instruments when I sing certain songs. Restrung with the new strings, the Kala baritone is about as loud as my tenor . . . but with a little deeper sound. Some may not like it . . . but I do, especially as I work to learn the names of…

Goodbye Tom Petty . . ..

It was confirmed last night that Tom Petty died after being found in his home unresponsive and in full cardiac arrest.  Tom and the Heartbreakers has just finished up their 40th anniversary tour.  Tom was planning to spend more time at home with his new grandchild. 

Everyday is precious.  Live each day as if it is your last.

RIP Tom.  Thank you for the music!

God's grace, and cherished memories of people that made great music, still amaze me . . . ><>

Would you life to share share about your favorite musical instrument?

What is your favorite guitar or other musical instrument?  Please let me know.  I'd like to interview you about your relationship with your favorite instrument.

I am interested in talking with, and getting to know, everyday people who make music.  That's the kind of person I am.  I'm an everyday kind of guy, and I love to sing and play guitar for everyday people. 

Although I have too many guitars, several ukes, a couple of old banjo's, a bunch of harmonicas and several Native American flutes, I am interested in stories about other instruments as well.  I have it in my mind that this blog will probably feature more stories about guitars and singer-songwriters.  However, I am open to stories about people and their love for other instruments.  So, if you play the accordion, piano, pennywhistle, drums . . . or can crack your knuckles in time to music . . . I want to hear your story.

All inquiries from interested, or from the curious as well, can be sent to revrickmang@gm…