Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What I am "living without" for Lent . . .

Lent, the 40 days prior to Easter (not counting Sundays) began a few weeks ago on Ash Wednesday, February 6th.

It is both an ancient and common practice to participate in an intense time of devotional study during Lent. As are a number of the people who call FUMC-Grapevine their churh home, I am reading the entire New Testament before Easter. So far I am on schedule.

It is also an ancient an common practice to "give up' something for Lent, as a way of self-sacrifice and self-denial, as one prepares spiritually for the celebration of the resurrected Jesus Christ.

This year, Ken Diehm, our Senior Pastor, put this into a different perspective by asking, "What are you going to learn to "live without" during Lent?"

I gave this some serious thought. When people ask me for suggestions about what to give up for Lent, I usually offer the advice that they "give up" a destructive or un-fruitful habit.

This year, I decided to practice what I preach. This year . . . I decided I wanted to learn to "live without" obesity.

I'm a big ol' Texas boy ya'll. Well, that only goes so far. Several of my current health "problems" are in some way weight related. So, back on the low carb diet that is supposed to help my pancreas work better than it does now.

And, I am happy to report that when I stepped on the scales this morning, I had lost 18 pounds.

I actually started the diet on Feb. 1, but got serious about it after Lent began.

Whatever the amount of weight I lose this seaon of Lent, I am not going to celebrate, and binge out as a "reward." Instead, I plan to get on my bike, and also to pull out the ping-pong table and issue some polite ping-pong challenges.

I think I am ready for a resurrection.

I'm better than I deserve! ><>

1 comment:

doodlebugmom said...

Wow! 18 pounds is an amazing weight loss. Keep up the good work.

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...