Monday, February 25, 2008

Making life sing . . .

5 of us "First Church Guitar" guys went to the Atria Retirement Center in Grapevine yesteray afternoon, to provide singing for the afternoon chapel service there.

Contruction forced us to set up in the "library". A somewhat limited space. Three lovely ladies attended the service, and got "sung-to-pretty-good!"

Interesting about being in a band after a 25+ year hiatus. When you play together a lot, you start playing a lot better.

And yesterday afternoon . . . we were on fire! I think we only messed up a little on one song, and did that only once. Everyone was just "on" yesterday.

Thank you Lord! It was a lot of fun!

Our "big group" will play for the BSA Crew 700 fundraiser this Sunday after worship in the Family Life Center. They are feeding us (our 1st paying gig!)

Funny thing, how I call our inging at a retirement home and for the Boy Scouts a "gig!"

Practice is a good thing. Rehearsal is a good thing. Maybe I will start applying this principal to other parts of my life as well.

I'm better than I deserve! ><>

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Practice helps!? I'll have to try that sometime. Thanks for the good advice!

Rick said...

Well, practice is a lot cheaper than trying to get better through buying new guitars all the time!!!

Rick said...

And I should know! I came to Grapevine with just three guitars . . . My Martin, my old Sigma, and my Strat.

Now, I have 8 guitars if you count my old 4-string banjo.

Mark said...

I wish you'd play your banjo more often....I think you said you had put it aside...you know, with your banjo-playing and my "camp meetin's," we could go places.

Rick said...

Mark,

Funny thing about how you and I think alike. I have recently decided to send my banjo out to be set-up and the neck straightened.

So . . . where and when is our next gig?

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...