Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Exploring the possibilities of singing at a new venue . .

For several months now, I've been driving by a new rehab and memory care facitily that is under construction not far from my church.   I am unfamiliar with the company, but the design of the building was very familiar to me.

One day I stopped by the building, and found that several administrative staff were in place and working on site.  I was directed to contact the progam director and did so later in the day, introducing myself, as well as letting her know that I volunteer where I can as a therapeutic music entertainer. 

Several conversations later, including my offer to come in an audition to the staff and filling out a background check, and it looks like I will be singing there about 1-2 times a month once they are opened for business.  I may get to provide entertainment at the grand opening.  We will see.

I can't emphasie enough the need to have a clearly stated "elevator" speech to share when asked about the musical service I am willing to provide.  Mine has changed over the years, but it serves me well.  Here it is:

Good morning / afternoon.  My name is Rick Mang and I am the pastor at the local United Methodist Church.  One of my personal ministries to the community is to sing for senior adults in senior centers, and to seniors in nursing, long-term care and rehab facilities.  I do not charge to do this.  I am a certified therapeutic music entertainer, and I am willing to volunteer if your facility would benefit from my doing so.  I am available 1-2 times a month as my schedule allows.

I think the word "free" gets me in the door more often than not.  One day I hope to be considered good enough to be paid a fee, but that will probably be after I retire from pastor / preacher stuff.

It is good to volunteer in the mean time.  It feels good to offer a brief respite to senior adults, especially if they are going through some kind of medical treatment.  I'm glad I can make a little difference in their lives with the gifts and skils that I have to offer.


No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...