Friday, October 7, 2016

Singing to Senior Adults: #4 - Giving older adults the chance to experience emotion through music

Part 1 - Getting your foot in the door to sing to senior adults
Part 2 - Treat the first ttime to sing to senior adults as an audition.
Part 3 - The basic equipment you need to bring with you.
Part 4 - Giving senior adults the chance to experience emotion through music.
Part 5 - The "Do's and Don'ts" when singing to senior adults.

Singing for Senior Adults opens a wide variety of musical choices.

But sooner or later, you are going to sing a song that someone in the audience identifies with on a deeply emotional basis.  Please . . . consider letting them have that moment.

For some seniors, it may be a very happy memory of a day gone by, and the tears you see are reflective and contemplative tears of joy.

For others, it may be an unhappy memory.  But a memory they are none-the-less willing to feel the pain of again as a way of grieving.

I like to sing the old Pete Seeger song, "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine."  The last verse is about preparing for death . . . and the last line before the chorus is, "O Lord, I'd do it again" in reference to how they felt about the life that had been lived.  Life is meant to be reflected upon, especially by those seniors who still have the mental and emotional abiltiy to do so.  Also remember, that most songs, are about life.

Some love songs will affect some in the audience.

Some ballads will as well.

Some gospel songs will also affect the people you are entertaining.

That being said, I don't force songs on my audience.  After a while you get to know them, and you know what they like.  Some audiences want to sing with you.  Some audiences want you to sing to them.  Each older adult in the audience has a need.  You can't meet all their needs. Choose your song set wisely.

I've found that when I notice someone having a quiet emotional moment with a song . . . they will come tell me about it.  Most of the comments were, "that was my loved one's favorite song" or "that was a song we danced to" or "that's a song my momma used to sing."  If you have the time, listen to their story.  Be sure to thank them for sharing with you.

Also remember, some of the songs may very well affect you.  Every time I sing "My Cup Runneth Over With Love" . . . I usually shed a tear or two thinking about my wife and our 40+ year relationship together.

Choose your songs carefully . . . the "Branson" method of choosing your song set is still a good one.  If youve been to any of the musical variety shows at any music theater in Branson, you know that you will hear . . .

-Gospel
-Old time rock-n-roll
-Classic Country
-and Patriotic songs

The same kind of song set will usually work when singing to seniors.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...