Saturday, October 18, 2014

A full circle return to the banjo . . .



My mom is visiting this week.  Yesterday afternoon, at her request, I took out the Gibson banjo to show her.  Then I got out my old Kasuga 4-string tenor banjo.

And the fun started!  I played and sang with that old banjo for over an hour.

I haven't played that tenor banjo in many years.  At one point back in the 1990's, it was about the only instrument I played.  That was before I got my first good guitar (a Martin D-16gte).  I wanted to improve my guitar playing, so I shelved that banjo for a while.

A long while.  I think I have used it once in the last 10 years, and that was for a children's message during one of our worship services.  People still talk about that day.

Gosh, the strings on that old banjo need changing awful bad.  I went online, and new strings are only about $3.00 a set!!

It could use new tuners and a new head as well.   That will be a little more expensive.

Despite needing strings, it was a blast to play it again, and rip into it good.  I tune my tenor banjo to Chicago style tuning . . . D-G-B-E.  It's the same as playing a baritone uke.  You play guitar  chords except for the low string E and A.  

Super easy for a guitar player.

If I do take time-off from performing after the fist of the year, I think I will be spending some of that time with the banjo.  Best song leading instrument I know of.

Most importantly, I enjoy singing with it.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...