Monday, June 16, 2014

It happened again . . .

Therapeutic Music Entertainment . . . . "A performance or activity which, by virtue of its diversion, amusement and/or pleasing qualities, promotes healing."

It happened again  . . .

I was singing this morning for the residents at the South Colleyvine Ranch in Grapevine.  I was about done with my program, my voice was about gone, and my new "Father's Day shoes" were hurting my feet.

"Rick . . . before you go  . . . please do an old gospel song!"

How can you refuse a sweet dear lady in her 80's who asks you to do a gospel song?  I don't know about you, but I can't refuse such a request.

So, more so because I was pretty tired . . . I started a slow version of His Eye is On the Sparrow.

And . . . it happened again . . . I could see the healing in the eyes and on the faces of many in the room.  On this particular morning . . . on this particular day . . . this particular song, that wouldn't have been sung unless someone had asked . . . was the song that touched everyone there in a way that I will never ever be able to adequately describe with words.

But then I don't have to . . . because I believe most everyone has had a similar experience in their lives with music of some kind.

Healing that cone from music, for me, has a lot to do with feeling . . . and perhaps I was needing this song as much as those who had come to hear me sing . . . the one who comes once a month to offer an hour's diversion from regular daily emptiness or loneliness . . . an hour's diversion from the normal task of "waiting for God" as one resident recently told me.

I sing because I'm happy
I sing because I'm free
For His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He's watching me.

Thank you God, for the healing power in music.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...