Thursday, February 23, 2012

A busy season means less singing . . .

Well, it's that time of year.

The season of Lent has begun, and we are in a season of funerals at our church. I think after the memorial service tomorrow, I will have been part of 4 funeral/memorial services in the past 2 weeks.

No complaints . . . my pastoral strength is congregational / pastoral care. So funerals and being with families is what I do, and I am confident in my ability, and in God to see me through.

It also a time of growth for our church. We are one church with 2 campuses. We are creating new ministries, and it seems like we are creating them weekly. Easter is not far away, which means the next 6 weeks will be very busy with meetings, planning services, coodinating volunteers . . . it's part of what we do each year. And we do it well.

As a result, this is the time of year where I find it difficult to maintain my normal singing schedule. I will be back singing with the Hugworks guys in April, and except for the two nursing homes I sing at each month, and the children's times I am scheduled to lead . . . that will be about it.

Part of me is sad. Yet part of me is relieved a bit.

Instead of doing without something for Lent, my wife and I have taken something on together. That's about as much as I can and will share about it right now. This is where the extra time will be focused and spent.

I still we be rehearsing and learning songs. Heaven knows that I have at least 5-6 songs I need to memorize . . . and new guitar chords to learn as a result. So I will be singing behind closed doors, so to speak, for the next month or so.

I wonder . . . the visual image of a caccoon comes to mind. Taking the time to close the door for now, but in April to come out again, a better singer, a better guitarist, rejuvenated and refreshed.

Maybe this is not such a bad thing after all?

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...