Monday, September 6, 2010

Times change, as does interest in certain guitars . . .

WARNING! . . . This blog entry is about guitars and stuff like that. If you like guitar stuff, then please read on. If not, then check back later . . . either way, "I appreciate you!"
_____________________________________________

For over 5 years . . . my #1 guitar has been a Martin DC-16gte guitar. As fine an intrument as I had ever previously owned or played.

For years I had always wanted a nice Martin. My friends Joe and Floyd had Martins, and I always admired their looks and sound. My DC-16 has never let me down in this regard.
I was able to get it the week before we moved to Grapevine, purchasing it at Heart of Texas Music in Temple, TX, thanks in part to a grant I received, along with gifts I received from my friends Joe and Floyd.

I recently was able to finally obtain a Martin J-12-16 12 string guitar, after an over year long search. I had the opportunity to buy several truly wonderful Taylor 12-strings during that time, but instead waited for the Martin. I first learned to play guitar on a 12-string.

I know about, and have studied quite a bit of the Martin Guitar history. You could say I am and have been a Martin man for quite a while.

However, the Martin guitars I have dreamed of owning . . . are probably forever priced higher than I will ever be willing to pay.

A couple years ago . . . I felt drawn, and encouraged by others, to improve my guitar playing skills, including finger-picking. I found myself looking at the nylon string classical guitars that Sean would occasionally have in his showroom and Grapevine Guitar Works. I got to play a couple of Godin Multiac SA's, even had one for a couple months . . . but sent it back because it wasn't a true acoustic.

Over a year ago, while enjoying an after Thanksgiving break in East Texes, I stumbled across a rare, beautiful and wonderful sounding Martin N-20 classical guitar. A 1980 model, a year older than the one Willie Nelson still plays to this day.

I got to play it for over 30 minutes . . . a time I will treasure forever. However, with a near $4,000 price tag . . . I knew it was something I would never own, or play much in public out of fear of harming such a treasure.

A few months later, I stumbled onto a used Taylor NS42ce at another local guitar store. It's what some call a "hybrid" classical guitar. It had a Fishman pre-amp, 14 frets to the neck instead of 12, and the nut was 1 7/8 inches instead of the normal 2 inches for a classical. Thanks to my Mom, I was able to get it. It has served me well this past year. And, I began to play it more and more at children's time during worship, and during jam sessions. At most of the solo gigs I have had this past year, I have played this guitar through my Fishman Loudbox 1oo.

A month ago, Sean at Grapevine Guitar Works became a certified Taylor dealer. One of the guitars he bought for display at his showroom was a Taylor NS74ce. This is the top-of-the line Taylor acoustic-electric classical guitar. There is no better unless it is a custom order. Western red cedar top, and Indian rosewood back and sides. It has a larger body (Grand Auditorium) than the NS42 (Grand Symphony), and the sound it makes when you play it just swells. The NS74 also has the newer Taylor TS-E electronics, just three simple little knobs (volume, treble adn bass) to turn.

I am drooling a bit just writing about this guitar.

I took my Loudbox amp and NS42 to Grapevine Guitar Works showroom, and Sean and I plugged the two guitars in. The NS42 is a fine guitar, with great sound. However, the difference between the two guitars was amazing! We are talking bush league-verses-major league here, I'm that serious . . . Sean even said it was a $1,000 difference in sound. I believe him.

Sean was feeling compassionate that day, or perhaps generous. That's the kind of friend he is. As a result, my new #1 is now a Taylor NS74ce.

The price? That's between me and Sean, but it was less than an equal quality Martin would have been, and I get the customer service that Taylor is known for if I ever need it. But yes, there was some stuff I had to give up. Let's just say that to cover this price of this guitar, I had to part with a bunch of my current equipment. Nuff' said.

I think I have a clearer understanding now of the scripture about the man finding the prized pearl in the field, then going back and selling all he had to buy the field.

This is the nicest guitar I have ever owned in my life . . . without a doubt, despite my preference for Martin's. In my mind, this is a once-in-a-lifetime guitar.

So . . . thanks Mom! I love you, and we miss you a lot since your move to Husker-Land. I still consider this the guitar you helped me get. I will always appreciate that you believe in my passion to sing and perform. I will play you a personal concert this fall when you come visit. Being a musician yourself, you will appreciate this instrument.

And . . . thank you Sean, for directing me toward this once-in-a-life-time guitar, and for working out a way for me to get it. I appreciate this guitar, along with your friendship and counsel, very much.

And now . . . the even better news. I now only have 4 guitars and one amp in my office, to go along with my tenor banjoy and baritone uke. I have more room now than I know what to do with!

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>



No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...