Thursday, July 15, 2010

Why did God create wasps?

We came back home from vacation on Monday, to find that a weeks worth of rain had helped my lawn grow quite tall while we were gone.

On Wednesday morning, I undertook the task of getting my yard mowed, pleasing both myself and my neighbors. Took the usual 1.5 - 2 hours.

While I was putting my lawn mower back into my backyard shed, my hat brushed against a big yellowjacket nest that I did not see ...

Buzz Buzz Buzz . . . WHAM! Two got me on the left ear, one got me in the face, and another flew between my eye and my glasses. Luckily enough, I got it swatted away before it could sting me.

Flustered, a bit in pain . . . I marched through my gate to my garage and got one of the two cans of wasp spray I new I had. I shook it up all the way to the back yard . . . aimed it at the wasp nest, and pressed the trigger while muttering under my breath, "now you die!"

Nothing . . . no spray . . . so I shook the can some more, and fired again . . . nothing.

Went back to the garage and got the other can . . . aimed, fired . . . and nothing.

I took the two FULL cans of wasp spray back to the garage, and began to read the label . . .

"Keep can stored in a dry COOL place."

Rats.

It's been a least 100 degrees in my garage all summer.

Rats Rats Rats Rats.

So . . . still in pain, I went to Lowe's and upon entering found two other guys holding onto their ears while standing next to a display of Black Flag Wasp spray . . . a two-can special for $3.97. I purchased 4 cans.

I have to admit . . . I quite enjoyed spraying an ENTIRE CAN of wasp spray on the nest attached to my storage barn. I knocked it off after all the wasps were dead, and stomped it into smitherines. Yes, that really is a word in my famlily.

Now that my primal-revengle-lust was over, I decided to walk around my house . . . and sure enough, I found a red wasp nest and promptly dispatched its occupants to wasp heaven.

Lesson learned: Never forget, that in Texas, we have wasps.

I wonder if there is a song in all this?

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...