Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I can't help falling in love with you . . .

One of the highlights of my year is to present my pastor's report at our annual Charge Conference.

Seriously.

The reason I enjoy it is that I usually sing a song as part of, or as all of my report, inviting those in attendance to sing with me.

Truly, more so than any other activity, when we sing together we are family . . . one big happy family.

At least, that is my experience and perception of what happens when we sing together.

Guess Pete Seeger had more influence on my life than I thought.

I shared that I wanted to sing a song that put into perspective what I hope people of our community hear when we live with, witness, share and help on a daily basis.

The song I chose to sing . . . I Can"t Help Falling in Love With You!

Wise men say, only fools rush in
But I can't help falling in love with you

Shall I stay, would it be a sin
If I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows, surely to the
Darling so it goes, some things are meant to be

Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you.

For the record . . . I do not like Elvis' version of this song all that much.  Arlo Guthrie's version is my favorite.

Connally Dugger, our Mid-Cities District Superintendent, joined me in singing the 2nd time through, and those in attendance joined us as well. It was awesome.

My hope is that whenever the people of our church are living out their faith in the community, what other people hear, see, feel, and learn about us is this . . . because of Christ, we just can't help falling in love with you!

I think we are proving this more and more,  as we intentionally minister to those who live within one mile of the church.

Ever forward . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...