Friday, June 12, 2020

Lessons learned while pastoring in a pandemic . . .

I've learned a couple of lessons about pastoring in a pandemic.

First lesson . . . pray the Serenity Prayer E-V-E-R-Y S-I-N-G-L-E D-A-Y!!!!   

Pray it several times a day. 

For those who don't know the prayer, it is attributed to the late Theologian, Riehold  Niebur. 

God, grant me the SERENITY to accept the thinks I cannot change; COURAGE to change the things I can, and WISDOM to know the difference.  Amen. 

This is one of those profound prayers that seems to hit-the-spot, so to speak, whenever you pray it.  I don't pray it enough. 

Lesson learned!

Second lesson . . . don't forget to to let the leaders of your church lead!!!!

I was recently "lovingly" (translated, taken to the woodshed) about this by one of the leaders of the church I pastor.  Her most loving comment, "You don't have to do everything."

Of course she was right, and I thanked her for caring enough about me to bring the matter up.  We had a good talk, and I actually felt better than I did when I started the day.  

That's what happens sometimes when you let go of a weight that you didn't know your were carrying. 

Lesson learned!

In my humble opinion, 

Rick ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...