Wednesday, January 29, 2020

"The Bullet Journal Method": Books you will find on my "This book changed my life" bookshelf . . .

I am currently reassessing my long-term goals, a healthy thing to do, and a practice of many following the start of a new year.  As part of the process, I am re-reading (for the 4th time) Ryder Carroll's book, The Bullet Journal Method.  

Ryder is the creator of the Bullet Journal, a method using a paper or electronic journal, where you learn how to effectively "Track the Past, Order the Present, and Design the Future."  I have been using the Bullet Journal method for well over 7 years, and I have a stack of Moleskine and Leuchtturm journals to prove it.  The method is one I can identify with . . . and I have always enjoyed tracking my days, thought and plans.  I will admit that I get distracted by other "better than a Bullet Journal" products, but I have always come back to my BUJO!

The section in this book on Goal Setting is worth the price of the book alone.  My problem with goal setting is that I set goals that are far too big, and far too scary as a result to begin working on.  Dividing the goals into simple and orderly steps is the key.  Ryder breaks this all down in a simple to understand way.  This is the sort of book where you will say more than once to yourself, "why didn't I think of that?"

The Bullet Journal Method occupies space on the bookshelf in my home study reserved for books that I try to re-read at least once a year, or once every couple of years.  There are only about 12 books on this shelf at this current time.  Each has made a profound difference in my life and in my way of thinking about, processing, and affirming what is important to me.

Yes, I know, Ryder primarily stresses an analog method . . . and that's a lame concept for some people.  I embrace both digital and technology . . . but I so enjoy using a "real" pencil (yes I have an Apple Pencil as well).   I have found a place for both in my life.  I'm 62.  Hey, I'm hip!

Well, maybe not.  However, the Bullet Journal Method resonates with me, and has ever since I first discovered Ryder's first video about it. I can say without a doubt, that using this method has helped me make the intentional choice to be more productive in things that truly matter to me.  DayTimer didn't do that.  Franklin-Covey didn't do that.  Planner Pads almost did (a good resource if I had lot's of focused projects).  Bullet Journaling is what helped me turn the corner.

If you are a "creative", or just need a process that helps you clear your mind and learn how to focus on what's important to you, then give this book a read.  I think you will be glad you did.

Final thoughts . . . long live REAL pencils and REAL notebooks and journals.  How I long for the quality of pencils and notebooks from days past.

Rick ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...