Wednesday, September 21, 2016

I'm Back . . .

Howdy to all . . .

After much contemplation, talking with others (especially my therapist and also with my wife) I entered into a time of comtemplation to re-identify and re-evaluate the things in my life that were most important to me.  This is something I try to do on an annual basis; however, it had actually been about 3 years since I went through this process.  In reality, it is very hard work.  Although I am not as bad at doing so as I was when I am young, I sometimes get bogged down with uncertainty when I embark on a new or expanded endeavor.   Leaving a long time pastorate for a new church at age 59 compounded the fact that I had not gone through this process.  The grief of leaving has subsided, and the "picture" in my head of my perferred future was coming into better focus as a result.

It was time well spent.

Singing, playing guitar and making music has been so rooted in who I feel I'm called to be in my life.  It was good, as I went through the process of journaling my thoughts and reprioritizing what is important to me, to know that music was still very much a part of what makes my heart and soul beat the way they do. Even after taking a few months off, I found that I missed singing and playing very much.  It just makes me feel, well, in a word (and to quote Harry Chapin) "whole."  It connects me with the understanding of my call, of what I am here on earth, and in life, to do.

Besides my family, preaching and pastoral duties, music is one of the only things I am willing to work at with dedicated effort.   Hopefully that dedication will be much more focused than in the past.

So, I hope to begin writing and sharing on a more regular basis as I resume singing in the area, especially in nursing homes, senior citizen centers and for church and civic groups when I am invited to entertain as my personal and church calendars allow.  I'm back playing rhythm guitar for our little Praise Team as well.  To my amazement . . . I've already received a couple of invitations for events in 2017.

More to come!

God's grace still amazes me . . .  ><>

1 comment:

Kelley Stone said...

Glad that you are back!

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...