Friday, January 22, 2016

Rest in peace Glenn Fry . . .

News has reached many about the recent death of Eagles founder and leader, Glenn Fry.   His death at 67 came too soon . . . too soon.

I've written before about the many folk artists who have influenced my personal and music life.  I have not written as much about rock music artists who have done the same.

The Eagles are surely an influence on my life and music.  As a teenager and young adult in the 1970's, the Eagles were so often on the charts, and their songs were the songs that we sang and played.  At the forefront as founder and leader . . . was Glenn Fry.   He was not the best singer.  No, that was Don Henley.  He wasn't the best guitarist.  No, that was Bernie Leadon, and Don Felder, and Joe Walsh.

Glenn was the leader.  Don Henley mentions that in commenting after Glenn's death . . . "Glenn was the one who started it all.  He was the spark plug; the man with the plan."

What Glenn also brought to the table was master song crafting, and a knowledge of popular music. He studied why songs became hits on the charts.  Song writing and helping lead a band were things he practiced as a craft.

He is gone from us too soon.  He will be missed.  The tributes about him on YouTube are growing and growing.

That is a good and appropriate thing to happen.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...