Friday, April 3, 2015

Happy Holy Week . . .

Well, duties as a pastor of a large church have taken the forefront of my focus during this season of Lent, and rightly so, as I make my living, and fulfill my calling, as a pastor in the United Methodist Church.  And now it is Holy Week (Good Friday today) with Easter Sunday in just a few days.

On the Monday after Easter, you will probably hear a long and languid primordial sigh . . . emanating from all the preachers and church staff across our great land who both thank God for Easter Sunday, and who also thank God that Easter has come and gone.  Lent is a busy season of the church year, because getting ready for Easter takes a lot of work for both individuals personally, and for a church staff's in getting programs set up.   A busy time.

Now if the rain forecast for Easter Sunday will just hold off a day.

There hasn't been, or rather I haven't taken much time for music.  I have been playing my three regular Monday morning retirement home/assisted living center gigs, but that's about all.   The 1st Church String Band has a gig in April, and in early May, but then our calendar is somewhat empty.   I have scheduled my regular gigs through the end of May.  I will take off June - August as I usually do, expect for Vacation Bible School.  During the summer I go through and repair/replace all my music equipment, as well as tend to the needs of my guitars, and also to focus on learning new songs and guitar techniques at home.

And . . . I need to spend some time devoted to banjo playing.  The long neck Gibson I was gifted with by the Laughlin's hasn't been out of its case much in the past few months.

Yesterday morning, I spent some time in my home music room, and I did manage to put some time in on most of my acoustic guitars.  I have too many.

As the old saying goes, "how many guitars does a guitar player need?  Just one more . . . " 

I do appreciate the different sound qualities of each.  I hadn't played my Guild jumbo 6-string in quite a while.  I used it the entire summer of 2013, especially the month I spent as a chaplain at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico.   Each guitar has a good back story.  Those back stories may be what I write about this summer.

I hope each of you has observed a Holy Lent.  And I hope each of you has a joyous Easter Sunday.

Keep making music whenever you can.   Make a joyful noise!

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

 


No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...