Friday, November 6, 2009

A friend of mine recently met a hero of mine . . .

My young friend, Christian brother and fellow singer/guitarist Joshua Ingram (who by the way is one of my favorite professional singer/guitarist types) recently got to meet one of my all-time favorite music hero's . . . Noel Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul and Mary fame.  

I don't know the specifics . . . other than Josh got to spend a few minutes with Paul at a gathering in Ft. Worth, and during the conversation, Josh received Paul's blessing to sing his songs.   

Special?  . . . . Indeed!  

I have written before that Pete Seeger, along with Peter, Paul and Mary, have shaped me musically more than any other singer/instrumentalists . . .

Well, with the possible close exception of the Beatles, The New Christie Minstrels, John Denver and Gordon Lightfoot and Crosby/Stills/Nash among about 50 others.  But songs by Pete and P.P and M. were the first songs I ever learned to sing and play on guitar.  I bet I have about 10 P.P. and M. CD's.  

I actually had a chance a year or so ago to attend an event in the DFW area, where I might have gotten the opportunity to meet Paul Stookey.  Don't know what came up that prevented me from going . . . but I would have liked the opportunity to shake his hand, and just say, "Thank you!"

That Josh had the chance to meet Paul, and be blessed by Paul to sing his songs . . . I think that is most fitting.   In fact, it is very fitting indeed. 

I wanted to sing professionally.  In fact, it was what I was called to do.  However, I lacked the courage and self-esteem, and perhaps the faith as well to risk trying to do music as a career.   I guess I just cared too much about what I "thought" family and friends wanted me to do.    

Josh is a courageous faithful man, husband, father . . . who is taking the risk, and from what I am learning,  he is doing OK.   I have been playing his CD in my office for weeks now.  

Perhaps I like what Josh is doing because I am living a little vicariously through his music.  Well, just a little bit.  

But if anyone could add his own flair to a Paul Stookey  or P. P. and M. song . . . and be successful at it . . . it would be Josh.

Josh's webpage is www.joshuaingram.com, or click here.

God's grace still amazes me . . .  ><>


No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...