Thursday, July 28, 2011

Singing a lot at Children's Medical in Dallas . . .

For the next 3-4 Thursdays, I will be singing with the Hugworks folks at Children's Medical in Dallas. These sessions will be my prep for a final solo, at which time I will have completed my Theraputic Music Entertainment (TME) apprenticeship.

The main focus now on my part is music memorization. My many year reliance on a notebook with words and chords has been the major roadblock for me in this process. It's hard enough carrying a Guild 12-string all around a hospital, but also a notebook and music stand?

Nope, just not practical, and it's just not professional either.

That, I believe is the take-away for me in this entire apprenticeship process . . . understanding that the songs I sing and play on guitar . . . are part of a craft . . . and treating always like a craft is how my approach to it needs to be for the rest of my life. The additional challenge is, of course, that my full-time job is as a United Methodist pastor, which allows me to sing a lot, but not full-time, the point at which music memorization becomes easier.

In the end, I am going to come out of the entire process a better singer and guitarist. And, I will continue to improve, and never again take what I do for granted.

It has been a good journey.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...