Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Favorite Songs - #5 of 5

My #1 favorite song is Somewhere Over the Rainbow / What A Wonderful World as sung by the late Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole.

My #2 favorite song . . . Walk Away, as sung by Joe Walsh and the James Gang.

My #3 favorite song . . . Closer to Home - Grand Funk Railroad.

My #4 favorite song . . . Leader of the Band, as sung by the late Dan Fogelberg.

My #5 favorite song . . . Suite to Judy Blue Eyes, the 1969 Woodstock version as sung by Crosby, Stills and Nash.

It was the fall and spring of my freshman year at Southwestern University at Georgetown, Texas. Every month, our Student Union provided a movie free-0f-charge to the students, that would run every night for a two-week period. They showed Woodstock about 4 times that year. I saw it, maybe 12 times from start to finish. Several times, I was one of only 2 or 3 people there to see it. We were all guitar players . . . we weren't watching . . . we were drooling.

At the time I was a 12-string guitar player . . . but had been wondering if I should get a 6-string. Hearing Suite to Judy Blues Eyes sealed the deal for me. I understood then that you could play acoustic, and still do good ol' rock-n-roll, with strong vocal harmonies instead of emphasizing intrumental leads.

I had been in a band the year before . . . and was wanting to play again . . . but I didn't have a Telecaster and an amp . . . which is what everyone wanted to play because "Outlaw" and "Progressive" Country was big with Willie and Waylon leading the charge. Plus, this music was orgininating out of Austin, Texas, which was only about 20 miles south of Georgetown.

I wanted to play acoustic rock-n-roll. I didn't want to have to set up stuff . . . and as a starving college student, I didn't have the cash for an electric set up . . . instead, I wanted a group to be able to go into a coffee house or other small venue, and sing . . . and share our souls while doing so.

Well, in the end, I wasn't able to do that. My grades started suffering, financial support from home was "threatened to be removed" as a result, and appropriately so. Guitar playing time became studying time.

But Crobsy, Stills and Nash singing Suite to Judy Blue Eyes helped keep the dream alive in my heart and soul.

I'm better than I deserve! ><>

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, of course, that the song was written by Stephen Stills to his on/off girlfriend, Judy Collins. I liked "Judy Blue Eyes" until the radio ruined it for me by playing it a million times - just got sick of it. I met a friend I still have playing "Wooden Ships," which CS&N also played at Woodstock.

My favorite parts of the movie: Ritchie Havens, Ten Years After, Santana. An eclectic group, no?

Dr. Dale Schultz said...

Your post reminds me that I need to just take - that is, make - the time to play my uke and guitars. I really enjoyed the links; thanks!

Nothing happens when I only think about playing, I have to actually play. Kinda like praying, huh?

Rick said...

Dale,

As one of my best friends ( and his name is Floyd!!!) recently pointed out to me . . . acquiring new instruments all the time does not make me a better player.

Only daily practice can make me a better player, just as daily prayer makes me a better pray-er.

Both, however, are still a daily struggle. But I am working on it.

Rick said...

Floyd,

Man, I completely forgot about Ten Years After. Didn't they do a rock version of Blue Suede Shoes?

Mark said...

Last year, my 17-yr old son requested a Led Zeppelin CD for a Christmas gift.

Old school rules!

Anonymous said...

At Woodstock, Ten Years After did something called "I'm Going Home," which was a medley of several songs, including "Blue Suede Shoes." Jaw-dropping guitar work by Alvin Lee, which is what I liked about it.

Re the Rev. Winter's comment, one of my Christmas presents was Led Zeppelin I. Great album!

doodlebugmom said...

Your taste in music is almost as eclectic as mine :)

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...