Thursday, July 2, 2020

I Miss My Audience . . .

Ever loved something so much, and later find out why?  That happened to me recently. 

I have been a certified therapeutic music entertainer since 2011.   I have sung in nursing homes and senior  centers on a regular weekly or monthly basis since 2005.  

Due to Covid-19, I haven't performed musically since February 2020.  Stupid Covid-19.

I haven't been playing much guitar either this past 3 months.  I pick one up most every day, but only play for a few minutes then put it back on the rack or back in its' case.  

Not having an audience to sing to, to engage with, is hitting pretty hard.  I love to perform.  I love to get people singing.  I've confessed that I am not the greatest singer or guitar player.  I'm probably in the "dime -a-dozen" category regarding both.  However, I can get other people to sing!  Call it a gift. I've been a song leader in several churches and for several groups.  I was the featured singer in a band for almost 10 years, because I could get the others in the band to sing with me, as well as people in the audience. 

And now, I don't have an audience.  Well, more specifically . . . I don't have a live audience. 

I guess this can all relate to my being a preacher as well.  I truly miss the engagement of the people in the congregation when I preach.  Preaching to a camera is not the same. 

I'm in a spot of sorts.  I need to work through this.  The other day I decided to sell all my guitars.  I quickly gave my self a symbolic "slap-in-the-face" and sternly told my inner child to "get-a-hold-of-yourself."

Yep . . . I need to process this, and I need to do it now. 

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...