Monday, July 6, 2020

Goodbye Charlie Daniels & Stu Spencer

I read today about the passing of Country and Rock music superstar, Charlie Daniels. Charlie was 83 and died from a form of a stroke.  Charlie was a talented multi-instrumentalist and singer.  He has been a constant in my life since the late 1970's.  His career lasted 60 years!  He will be missed.

Yesterday, my friend and former band mate (1st Church Guitars) Stu Spencer passed away after a battle with cancer.  Stu was our banjo player, guitar player, and occasional drummer when we had access to drums.  I remember when he started taking bluegrass banjo lessons.  He took it seriously.  I also remember the first time I called him out during a song to do a solo.  He played it pretty well, looking daggers at me the entire time. 

Stu was actually one of our band co-managers until his health began to diminish his playing ability.  It only slowed his ability down a bit, he could still hang with us.  But he was uncomfortable, so he gradually retired from our band, joining us on "good days."

I officiated Stu's wedding to his wife, Susan, over 10 years ago.  Susan was very good to, and for, Stu.  They settled in the Nocona, TX area and I understand that Stu finally got to build his dream house on the land that he loved so much. 

So, goodbye Charlie . . . and goodbye Stu.  I'll probably attend the celebration of Stu's life, but it will have to wait until Covid-19 settles down, whenever that will be.  I officiated Stu's wedding, the least I can do is help him into his final resting place.  The least we can do sing one final song for him. 

Rick ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...