Thursday, August 11, 2011

Singing solo at Children's Medical in Dallas . . .

Today, from 10 AM - 12 noon, I had the opportunity to sing and play guitar solo in several of the clinics at various locations within the Children's Medical Center in Dallas. My partner was unable to be there today due to a health issue, and . . . well . . . I was there, so what the heck . . . I went in and sang.

First . . . for the record . . . I DID NOT GET LOST! Not even once. I made it to each location, sang 5-6 songs, and then headed to the next stop. Children's Medical Center is a HUGE place with elevators, different levels, sky bridges . . . but today I made it around without help.

Truthfully . . . I had a blast! Nothing helps song memorization, both words and chords, more than the good stress of performing!

The response seemed to be positive. I have now concluded that every person in the world knows "Wheels on the Bus." "Old McDonald" got great participation from the kids. "I Believe in Music" got polite applause from the adults.

However, we don't do this for applause. These were children and their parents who were waiting to see a doctor. Some of the kids would have procedures. Others would have exams. All would not have much of a vote as to what would happen to them.

Theraputic Music Entertainment provides a needed and necessary distraction from the stress of being a child or adult in a hospital. You know as a TME performer that you have succesfully done what you were supposed to do . . . when both children and adults wave when you walk by, and say, "thank you!"

I think I am a very good distraction . . . for the record!

God's grace still amazes me . . . it blows me away sometimes . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...