Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Marty will soon be retired . . .

I've never owned a nice enough guitar to ever feel like I needed to retire it at some point.

That is, until now.

"Marty", my Martin DC-16gte, the first nice guitar I ever owned, will be retired to my home study in the next month or so. Song writing and playing at home will be it's new assignment. It has earned some special TLC. It has served me very well these past 7+ years.

I am looking for a Guild F50R, or a good Guild dreadnaught for future 6 string use. Possibly an Eastman. I have really taken to Guilds this past year. They are very tough, very durable, and sound very good if you find the right guitar. Whatever I get, it has to stand up to campground and fireside use, hospital use, and travel in cramped quarters. In other words, it has to be tough. For an acoustic, it has to be a log.

Marty is tough . . . but Martin's as a rule are all pretty light weight. And it has some nicks and scratches that give it character . . . but it's a 16, with a satin finish. I worry that it will not handle hard use like an 18 or 28 with gloss finish mahogany or rosewood.

I will probably never find a guitar that sounds as sweet as Marty. Oh, it has that Martin depth which Martin is so famous for. But not that sweet balance of lows, mids and highs that you get with the higher dollar Guilds.

In my humble opinion, of course.

Welcome home Marty. I plan to have you around for a long while, safe where you belong.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...