Friday, July 17, 2015

Update . . . I'm playing and singing again!

The transition to our new church and home in Crowley, Texas continues.  All is going well.  We still have a few boxes left to unpack.  Garage and workshop stuff I will unpack in the fall when it is cooler.

Singing and guitar wise, I "back in the saddle again!"

I am playing guitar for our 9am informal service  on Sunday mornings, hoping in the process to encourage other players to come join in the fun.  I really haven't played much praise & worship / contemporary Christian music, so there is a learning curve (what is it with contemporary Christian artists love of Eb?)

This past week I visited the local library, and will turn in my volunteer paperwork soon.  I think they are interested in having me come on Friday mornings when I can through the summer.  Hopefully we can talk more in the near future about doing something for after-school in the fall.

My next stop is the Crowley Rehabilitation and Nursing Center.  I believe one of our church members works there.  That is a help, especially when you walk in "off-the-streets" and introduce yourself as a singer / guitar player who will sing and play for free.

"Free" is what I am all about.  I'm a good performer, but not good enough to make a living at singing and playing.  And when you do it for a living, there is all the self-promotion work and travel.  And then, the people I love to perform for the most, children and older adults in retirement or nursing centers, would not normally be part of my usual audience.

I think I have it now the way it is supposed to be.  If I have my health when I retire, I will probably split my time singing at Philmont Scout Ranch in the summers, and singing wherever Hugworks.org wants me to go.  Either way, I will be singing the songs that I love with the people that I love, respect and appreciate the most.

More to report in the coming days.  VBS is next week!  Yay!

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...