Friday, July 26, 2013

Philmont Report #5 - Last day . . .

Friday, July 26th . . . my last "official" day as a Philmont chaplain.  Tomorrow morning I drive to pick up Liz at an area airport, and then we will spend a few more days "on vacation" before leisurely heading home to the DFW area.  I will be back in the worship services at FUMC-Grapevine on August 4th.

I made 3 camps this morning, then spent the afternoon cleaning and packing up my stuff, doing laundry, reading, and saying a lot of "goodbyes."  I am honestly surprised by the number of staff who have come by to wish me well and to offer me travel blessings.

I guess in some way, I will miss Philmont . . . the camp, the mountains, the scenery . . .

But the truth is, I will miss the people here the most.  I have worked for 26 days with a whole lot of 19-23 year olds . . . and I have hope for the future of our country and our world as a result.

But, it is time . . . time to head back to those who I have missed working with and beside back in Grapevine  . . . much much more than I will miss my new friends here. 

I had thought that Philmont might possibly be my "dream job." 

I was wrong.

My dream job is the one I am returning to back home . . . serving on the pastoral staff at FUMC-Grapevine, and to sing when my schedule allows with the Hugworks gang in area children's hospitals, nursing homes and for those in hospice care.

I have other things I need to write about, but will do so after I get home and think about them for a while . . . in addition to downloading and posting a few of the pictures I took during my stay. 

Time to rest for a bit . . . then head back to that great Lone Star State . . . to my family, friends, church . . . my life.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>



No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...