Monday, May 16, 2011

Faith that reaches into the future . . .

My friend and fellow ministry partner, Nathan Firmin, led the pastoral prayer at the 11:15 AM service this past Sunday.

Part of his prayer included this, "Lord help us to have a faith that reaches into the future."

I was struck by that line . . . and have been thinking about it yesterday and today.

There is always a sense of unknown, and the accompanying anxiety, about the future. Was Nathan praying for us to have faith to handle what we cannot yet see or experiene? I don't know about you, but when I look into the future . . . the picture of what I see is cloudy or out-of-focus at best.

However, in looking toward the unknown future . . . it seems to me that I am in a teachable time. I get this feeling that I am getting ready to learn something. I need to be open to the movement of something . . . not sure what it is . . . but I am willing to let God deal with the uncertainty. I just hope to continue to move forward. That's always a good thing.

I need to keep my eyes and ears open for something, perhaps a new opportunity for mission, or something I am going to invited to consider, or a new movement to join. There is something soon to discover, either about myself, or in becoming aware, introduced if you will, to a new way that God is working among us.

I'm nervous, excited, and a bit anxious. In it all, God will provide. That I claim as my act of faith in this moment.

"Lord, open my eyes that I may see!"

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>


No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...