Friday, March 12, 2010

God's grace still amazes me . . .

It has been a very busy, but good week.  Hospital calls, extra pastoral care counseling, studying for and writing a sermon, paperwork and rehearsals with the band to be ready to sing in worship this Sunday at the Heritage Campus . . . 

My knees hurt, I am tired . . . but I feel pretty good.

This past week, I decided to get serious again about morning devotions, and Bible reading.  That may be part of the good week I had.  

Thursdays are a very long day for me . . . a "double" in fact.  But more so yesterday because the night before we meet our daughters and their families for a birthday dinner for our oldest.  It was good to be together for a joyful, but relaxed time together.  

Up on Thursday at 5:30 AM, then teach a men's Bible study at IHOP in Southlake, an event that I look forward to each week.  The fellowship with the guys who attends gives me the energy I need to make it through the weekend.

Yesterday, the Bible study was followed by a hospital visit in Irving, where a friend and fellow band mate had knee surgery.  That was followed by driving to Hurst to sing for the first time at a nursing home.  Started with 3 people in the room where I was singing.  There were 30 people in the room when I left.  This group is fun . . . they like the old hymns, and they sing with you.   I was the one trying to keep up.  When I go back next month, I will have a good catalog of songs ready for them.

Then, back to Grapevine for lunch with a friend, then over to the guitar store a short look around.  Then, to the office for 3 hours of prep for last night's rehearsal.  

Another hospital call . . . and then a quick stop at Sonic for a burger . . . at which time I return a phone call to a dear friend in Houston, who tells me that the doctor says the cancer my friend has been fighting for over 5 years . . . is completely gone!

As I sat in stunned silence, a Sonic car hop brings me my meal, says "O look, a rainbow!"

Yep, the rain we had in the afternoon had let up, and there was a rainbow.

I lost it.   I just lost it.

A flood of emotions came to my mind.

I have a wife, who for the most part smiles when she says she loves me.

My two daughters are enjoying some success in life, have loving husbands, and are generally happy.  They both have celebrated birthdays in the last two months . . . and I was blessed to share in both of those celebrations.

My longest life long friend told me he is cancer free.

I had already sung once during the day, and was going to do so again with dear friends as we prepare to sing in a worship service this Sunday.

And I recalled a scripture I had read earlier . . . "be still and know that I am God."

Rehearsal went very well, and we all had a good time.   I came home ... watched the news and talked with my wife . . . then as I lay in bed . . . I just couldn't help but think how tired I was, and how ready for a good night's sleep I was . . .

But something else kept coming into my mind . . .

that God's grace still amazes me . . . daily . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...