Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Taking the Silvertone Twin Thin to the luthier . . .

Another guitar blog . . . if not for you . . . then move on, but be sure to check back later.

A while back, I was given a 1956 Silvertone Twin Thin electric guitar by one of the families in the church.

To make a point/put things into perspective . . . I was born in 1957.

I think the guitar is in better shape physically than I am.

After playing my Hotrod this morning, I decided to plug in the Silvertone, just to compare.

Wow!

Maybe it's the pedals, or maybe I have the amp finally where I want it . . . it has a very vintage tone . . . not right for everything, but . . . there are possibilities.

Either way, it's time to get the neck on this guitar worked on by Kerry Cash in Bedford, and start playing it a bit more often. It was given to me to use during the Children's Time on Sundays . . . and perhaps to play on a Children's Worship CD we have talked about doing for a couple of years now. I accepted it on those terms, so tomorrow I take it in to get Kerry's first opinion.

I have no idea as to how much it costs, or the time involved to straighten out a vintage guitar neck, especially one that doesn't have a truss rod, but I guess I am going to find out. I know in principle how to do it . . . and I have the tools and can make the jigs needed . . . but if I broke it . . . no, I'm not going down that road.

More to come.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...