Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Give peace a chance . . .

I'm back from attending a pastor's meeting to help prepare the pastors in our conference for General Conference next year.

The morning sessions were great, including a presentation by a pastor from Pennsylvia who does a wonderful and engaging John Wesley drama. Outstanding.

In the afternoon sessions, the focus was on several issues . . . how to come to the table with those who have different positions . . . dealing with the media . . . etc.

The underlying theme of the entire day . . . General Conference is coming, and that means conflicts and differences of opinion will occur, so let's work on how we will constructively deal with them.

There have been various conflicts and disagreements at every General Conference since they were first held.

It occurs to me . . . that life is a guarantee of conflict, especially if you engage other people. To be a Methodist in this day and age is to be in conflict. We were told today . . . "Where ever there are 2-3 Methodists gathered, you will have 5-6 different opinions!"

That's a good one.

Jesus said, "In this world you will have trouble." To be a Christian serving God is to be in conflict with the world.

To not be in conflict, according to my understanding of natural law and philosophy, is another name for "death."

One of the definitions of "peace" is "stillness and quiet." But I'm not ready to be that still or that quiet.

Why then, do many, when speaking about dealing with differences, define "peace" as "the absence of conflict"?

Consider these two statements . . .

1) I may agree . . . I may disagree.

2) I may change my mind . . . and I might not change my mind.

Don't both just invite conflict, or at least a good argument?

Doesn't peace between people in dispute usually come out of an agreement, or treaty . . . which involves a combined effort by all parties to come together, to speak and to listen . . . without one party taking advantage over the other?

How are differences resolved constructively in any other manner, or agreements reached about living together in a constructive manner "despite" their differences?

Am I saying that some conflict . . . (healthy conflict / tension) . . . in life is good?

I think it is! Conflict lets us know that something is wrong. Something we should fix. Perhaps what needs to be fixed is selfishness . . . perhaps our focus should be on God's will for our church instead of our what "our" will for the church is.

I'm better than I deserve! ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...