Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Prayer Is Practicing Heaven Now . . .

If I have faced one constant challenge in my ministry, and in my own pesonal spiritual formation, it relates to prayer.

Somewhere back in my childhood and teen years, I came to understand that prayer was mostly about getting what I wanted, or a way to please God, in effect, keeping God off my back. 

For the past 10 years, I've been trying to slowly understand prayer as something much more than that, something far more rich and valuable than to be treated as a tool to use to manipulate God into doing what I wanted.

If some of this clicks with you . . . then I recommend Fr. Richard Rohr's daily devotion today (2/7/17).  I had to read it several times.  I was struck deeply when he writes . . . "Prayer is much more practicing heaven now."  

The Center for Action and Contemplation website is www.cac.org.  You can also click on this link to get to the daily devotional page.   If read this after today, just search for his devotional on 2/7/17.

And . . . 

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments: